Sunday 30 May 2010

Hi all, Steve here!

The painful process of straightening my arm is unfortunately still 'one' of my many challenges, but I'm beginning to see a difference in the movement of my elbow joint in that I used to grit my teeth just to reach for and lift a 'tissue'! But now with Pauline's help in the gym we've cobbled together a routine. We do several exercises on my arm using various machines and equipment and on the final exercise I sit on a padded bicep bench while she forces my arm straight! Sound's very painful doesn't it....... it is! Now I have less pain when I move my arm and reaching for something isn't such a task, however bending it is! I can't bend it more than 90 degrees, which makes using my left hand to eat with impossible! Lucky for me I can use a fork and just about reach my mouth, so don't worry, I'm not going to starve just yet!

Speaking of eating, whilst we were in our garden on a hot Sunday morning, two of my friends John Cross and Simon Gore dropped by to see how I was getting on. They were surprised to see I was looking so well, (I've lost some weight now that I've started going to the gym properly). Anyhow, I saw my chance to eat some real food! We all had a bacon butty each, yes you heard it! My very own bacon butty! We sat round the table munching down the bacon delight! It brought new meaning to the phrase 'piggin out!' We had a good old chat! It's been some months since they saw me last, it was at Simon's 40th birthday bash - yes Simon, YOU'RE 40!). Ooh alright, alright! we're all getting on aren't we? Well everyone but me that is! I'm only 25!!! Ok! Ok! I'm 40 as well. Anyhow, enough of that! Soon after, Simon and John had to leave because John who lives in Ireland now, had to catch his ferry! So it's back on the sawdust diet for me - no wonder Pinnochio was little! And so they said their goodbyes and left us to the rest of our day.

And for the rest of the day, as It was really hot and sunny Pauline and I spent much of it out and about going to local garden centres. It looks like we've finally shook off the spectre of winter! That's quite a statement considering it's almost June!!!

Incidentally, talking of June, put the 6th of June in your diaries, you won't regret it! Because on Sunday 6th of June you'll have made yourself available to witness a football match between our very own Salford Firefighter's verses.....wait for it! A team of Television Stars! Yes, various soap stars will be donning their football kits in aid of the Key Radio 103 Cash for Kids charity and the Firefighters Charity. The event is being held at The Willows in Salford. Tickets are on sale from any Fire station in the borough of Salford, and if you prefer you can log on the Fire service website www.manchesterfire.gov.uk. So with only a week to go you better be quick! Because this time we're not going to let those luvvies win! Because last time!........ well....eerr...they did! I suppose you could say they brought 'too many shooting stars!' with them and my lot weren't exactly 'on fire!' during the game! Oh dear, oh dear! Stevie, Stevie could you possibly fit in anymore pun's.......... Well yes! we're all 'fired up!' for the re-match and they're not going to 'tap dance' their way round us this time! There! I'm all punned out!

Well on that note, until next time! See you all at the match!

FF Steve Morris.

PS Before you go to the match test your Smoke Alarm!